Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Mogy Update

(The image is a picture of a picture on the wall at the Lazy Dog bar in Boulder, Colorado. We couldn't get over the visual similarity to Pro and Mogy. They were watching us!)

Yesterday, after 5 nights at the vet for observation and pain management, Mogy is home. He is undergoing a two week test with painkiller pills and cortazone pills to see if we can improve his walking. The xrays revealed that his hind quarters have been affected by his deteriorating hip dysplasia (in playing with Copper, his femur moved further out of the socket and has now (very likely) impacted/touched his sciatic nerve), and he also has some problems with his lower spine that are causing other issues.

Our hope is that the drug treatment will enable him to be a happy and content house dog. One who can walk over to say hi, who can walk outside to do his business, and one who can cuddle with us when we need cuddles. That is probably the best case scenario.

In two weeks, we will assess the treatment’s success. If he cannot do at least the things I’ve mentioned above, we will need to make the hard call. But for the next two weeks, he is here by my side and happy.

He, of course, still loves cuddles and pets. Alan and I are giving him lots of those. I've invited Mogy's Australian friends to come see him while he's here.

FYI - Copper is being a pretty good little brother. He seems to be aware of the need for Mogy to just lie there. He was in the same boat in September.

So here I am sitting at my computer, in my newly remodeled office, with a sleeping dog next to me.

I love him. :)

1 comment:

  1. I think you invited some non-Ozzie folks as well.
    Good luck, Mogy!
    We love you

    ReplyDelete