Thursday, September 25, 2014

Why the Hyphen?

Which is correct?
A) Wendy Lloyd-Curley
B) Wendy L Curley
C) Wendy Curley
D) Wendy Lloyd Curley

Three of those make me shiver.

In 1989, Alan and I got married. True story... I took about 8 rolls of film into the drugstore at Scottsdale and Thunderbird and asked for double prints... as you did. They advertised 24 hour turnarounds and promised the prints back the next day. I gave them my name and left.

The next day I went in to pick up the prints. Lloyd. They looked and looked and looked, but couldn't find them. I should come back the next day and get them. They were sorry.

The following day I went into the store to pick them up and gave them my name to pick up the prints. Curley. VoilĂ . There they were. I go t them all for free because of the delay.

I didn't even realise I'd done it. Really. Not until a few days later.

Anyhoo... I digress. It's this darn hyphen that got me started on this blog post. The mysterious line that appears out of nowhere. In 25 years, I have never used a hyphen. Never.

When we got married, I decided to just add the new name to my perfectly good original name. I wanted to be a family in name, but never to lose my Lloyd-ness (Oooh... look! A hyphen!).

In the interest of clarity, my surname is Curley. Filed under C. My first name is Wendy. Filed under W. My middle name is Eleanor. No one files things under middle names, so we're safe. And my maiden name is Lloyd. I'm Mrs Curley. I'm Wendy. I'm WLC. To my mom and dad, I'm sometimes E. And when you're giving me an award or introducing me formally or putting my name on a credit card, I'm Wendy Lloyd Curley. No hyphen.

Don't worry... I use white out on all the awards. :) They look great.

1 comment:

  1. Lol.... in the words of Toby Ziegler in The westwing...that was 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back...thanks

    ReplyDelete