Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Candles: The Three Wick


Hello. This might be an informative post for people who like candles. My friend Angela asked me about my 3-wick candle last night (see beautiful picture).

She thought that perhaps because the sides were... well... sides, that the candle wasn't burning properly. But that isn't the case at all.

What I like about candles is the character they develop as they burn. I like the uneven edges and the glow from a flame below the surface. See how the whole candle is glowing, not just the flame - it's beautiful.

Candles are, in a sense, alive. As the fuel burns away, the flame changes the wax according to the surrounding air flow and the temperature. And air flow and termperature are different in a room all the time, so when you burn candles at different times of the day, or in different seasons, they burn differently.

Anyway, I just make sure to keep this candle lit for at least 6 hours. While it burns, I might check the wicks every now and then to make sure they are sitting up straight and are evenly spaced. If I keep the candle lit long enough, a single pool of wax forms, and then when I snuff out the candle, I just give it a little hug on all sides and bend in the edges a bit. I don't deform it or break the wax off - that would change the character. Every time I light it, I just make sure to get the pool of wax as far out to the edges as I can. The candle burns out and down. And I get 200 hours of glowing pleasure.

Not every candle will do this. My candles are made from great wax. The absolute best. You can try, but the wax in most candles won't soften to the edges like the wax in my candles.

Want to buy some? I sell them, too. Anywhere in Australia. Check out my site at www.wlcenterprises.com/candles for details. I'm sure I'll talk lots more about candles in future blogs. Have a candle nightmare? Please share it in a comment.

Bye for now. WLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment