Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Crazy John

Crazy John has died. Forty-two years old and rich, rich, rich. And now he's dead. Funny how that makes me more and more happy about the choices I've made.

(Sorry, I have to interrupt this story for a minute. Here's what just happened: Mogy walked into the office. Copper (see the cute picture, that's Copper) was having an intense moment of biting my ankles and pulling at my jeans while I typed. Guess what? Mogy had a rope toy and actually teased Copper with it by grunting and waving it in his face. Yes, this is the same Mogy who I call the Sloth - he might get a new nickname soon. I took leave from my typing to get them outside onto the grass where I had a 3 minute "I wish I had a camera" moment. They were playing tug-of-war! Oh so cute to see 6.8 kilos versus 32.8 kilos. Mogy is going to LOVE Copper. In fact, I think he already does. Photos imminent.)

Back to the choices I've made....
  • Working for myself rather than for a corporation. I would have missed that moment above if I worked for a company. I would have had to get up at 6:00 in the morning, commute to work, deal with bosses and customers and employees, commute home, fit in life around work. Sorry... not for me.
  • Not buying into the more money is better argument. Time is more valuable than anything else. Time spent with friends, family, art, nature. Money is the means, not the ends.
  • Not watching TV. Although a relatively new phenomenon, this is a winner. I'd like to get rid of it. The computer is all I need.
  • Moving to Sydney, Australia. Wow, what a great decision we made. I can't imagine living in the US any more. When I go back, I notice the difference. We could choose to live in a material world here, too and lots of people do choose to. But not us - and it took moving here to break the cycle.
  • Starting this blog. I'm so glad that I started this blog. It is nice to be able to read back. It's nice to be able to share a bit about myself and the various hats I wear. My opening statement is proving to be pretty rock solid. Even if is is just for me, I really like it.
  • Marrying Alan. Nineteen is pretty young. I am so happy that I had the courage to say yes. I am so happy that he had the courage to ask. I'm so happy that we have the tenacity to change together. We are not the same people we were when we met - heck, we're not the same people we were 10 years ago. And it's getting better all the time.
  • Not having children. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's just not for us. No regrets. Puppies are going to fit the bill just fine.
Crazy John had it all, and he worked his butt of for it. And he's gone. All out. Game, set, match.

Forty-two. Only forty-two.

My friends and family mean more to me than money. I know I have to get better at making money while still making the type of choices I've made, but I know I will. I already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment